Sugar flower arranging mini tutorial
Some Tips for Arranging Sugar Flowers
See below for the mini sugar flower tutorial as seen in our mailing list. Join the list to have these and other news delivered direct to your inbox!
- Have all the flowers, leaves, and buds ready to go in one area. It’s easier to arrange if you can see what you have.
- Ensure that the wires or skewers that are going into the spacer are long enough so that the flowers don’t fall out.
- Start by inserting and spreading out the bigger flowers first. I like to insert them by colour too. I tend to spread out each flower and colour evenly around the whole cake.
- Then I start working with the smaller flowers, again by colour.
- Once all the bigger flowers are inserted, I then look at filling the gaps with leaves (to add some colour) and filler flowers (these can be berries or buds).
- Ensure that all the flowers, fillers and leaves are pointing in different directions (so it looks natural) and are inserted at different levels (some should be deeper into the spacers than others).
- Take a good step back once in awhile, you’ll be able to see clearer if there is any colour or weight imbalances.
- Finally, try and insert the flowers as tight against each other as you can, this prevents any gaps from showing.