Peach Hazelnut Tart
Tarts have endless possibilities – sweet or savoury; full, individual or petit size; round, square or rectangular shape; and can be served as appetisers, entrees or desserts. They are great to serve for every occasion as they can be elegantly garnished for a dinner party or dressed down for a casual picnic lunch. A variety of spices can also be added to the tart dough to enhance and complement the filling. For example, ground cinnamon and nutmeg can be added to complement a sweet fruity filling, or rosemary and ground pepper can be added to complement a savoury and cheesy filling.
When it is cold and windy, nothing is as satisfying as a tart hot from the oven. This recipe is simple, delicious and irresistible, especially on a cold winter night. The tart dough can be made in advance, kept frozen, then defrosted before use.
Ingredients – Tart dough
- Plain flour 165g
- Almond meal 135g
- Unsalted butter, cold 95g
- Icing sugar 60g
- Eggs 30g
- Sift the flour, almond meal and icing sugar together into a bowl.
- Cut cold butter into smaller cubes.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and cold butter into a food processor, and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add eggs into food processor and mix to bring the dough together.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and roll out the dough lightly with a rolling pin.
- Leave dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll out dough to a thickness of 6mm on a floured surface. Carefully lift the dough into an 18-cm tart tin with fluted edges and removable base. Gently press against the side and bottom edges.
- Roll the rolling pin over the top of the tin to neaten the edges and remove excess dough.
- Gently stab dough with a fork and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Use flour that contain less than 9% protein.
- Dough must be rested in the fridge to stop the dough from shrinking
- Unsalted butter and eggs must be cold.
Ingredients – Hazelnut filling
- Unsalted butter, room temperature 45g
- Icing sugar, sifted 50g
- Eggs 45g
- Hazelnut meal 50g
- Cinnamon 1tsp
- Nutmeg 1tsp
- Hazelnuts, roasted handful
- Peach slices, canned 10 slices
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- Rinse peach slices with cold water, drain and leave dry aside. Chop roasted hazelnuts into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Using an electric hand-held beater, cream softened butter until light and fluffy. Add sifted icing sugar. Beat until well-combined.
- Add eggs into mixture in 2 stages. Beat well after each addition.
- Add hazelnut meal, cinnamon, nutmeg. Fold in using a spatula.
- Pour filling into prepared tart shell. Use angled spatula to level mixture.
- Arrange peach slices on top of hazelnut filling and sprinkle crushed hazelnuts evenly on top.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix 2tsp of apricot jam and a little hot water in a small bowl. Brush mixture over tart with a pastry brush.
**Tip: Peach specified in this recipe can be substituted for cooked/canned apples, pears or quinces.
Indulge yourself in the sweetness of the fruit and rich hazelnut filling that contrasts perfectly with the warm, buttery pastry!